Introducing KubeAcademy Pro—a free education program that grants members access to technical, in-depth, product-agnostic Kubernetes training, exclusive workshops and virtual events.
WordPress.com is excited to announce our newest offering: a course just for beginning bloggers where you’ll learn everything you need to know about blogging from the most trusted experts in the industry. We have helped millions of blogs get up and running, we know what works, and we want you to to know everything we know. This course provides all the fundamental skills and inspiration you need to get your blog started, an interactive community forum, and content updated annually.
vRealize Operations brings many capabilities to monitor and manage your private, hybrid, and public clouds. But there’s so much more than just infrastructure management. We also offer several approaches to discovering and monitoring your business applications. There’s service discovery, […]
We are very excited to announce the availability of VMware SD-WAN™ by VeloCloud® Release 4.0.0. This is a major release that includes operating system upgrades and database changes to the VMware SD-WAN Orchestrator and VMware SD-WAN Gateways. With these changes we bring significant improvements to scale and performance.
Details on features and enhancements can be found in the Release Notes.
New Features Include:
- New VMware SD-WAN Orchestrator User Interface
- Bidirectional Forwarding Detection (BFD)
- Zscaler API Automation
- VMware SD-WAN Orchestrator Customizations
- Non-VMware SD-WAN Destinations via Edge
- Data Security
- Intermediate Certificate Authority
- High Availability Support for Checkpoint VNF
- Backup WAN Links
- ARP Timeout
- Business Policy and Firewall Rules
- Support for DHCP over VLAN in a routed interface
- Software Upgrades
Notes on Roll-out:
- The VMware SD-WAN Operations Team will begin upgrading the enterprise-hosted VMware SD-WAN Orchestrators and VMware SD-WAN Gateways to Release 4.0.0 within two weeks.
- These upgrades are estimated to take two to three months.
- A banner with more details will be posted on the enterprise-hosted VMware SD-WAN Orchestrators at least one week prior to the scheduled upgrade.
- This one-week interval is so that partners can notify their customers.
- Partners with dedicated hosted Orchestrators can request upgrade to 4.0.0 after the completion of enterprise-hosted Orchestrator upgrades.
- We will send another announcement at that time.
- Customers with on-premise deployments should contact Support for assistance with their upgrade.
Impact on VMware SD-WAN Edges running 2.x.x: Once the Orchestrator and Gateways are upgraded to Release 4.0, Edges running release 2.x.x will no longer be able to form tunnels with the Gateways. For more information, please click here.
Product Downloads (New!)
- Release 4.0 binaries will be available for download from my.vmware.com in the next week. Go to Product Downloads and look for the VMware SD-WAN product under the Networking & Security product category.
- Entitlement for downloading binaries is based on product components purchased.
VMworld 2020 News Announcement Summary – Day1:
- VMworld 2020 Announcement Summary Recap: https://www.vmware.com/company/news/updates/2020/vmworld-2020-news-announcement-summary.html
- VMware to acquire SaltStack: https://www.vmware.com/company/news/updates/2020/intent-to-acquire-saltstack.html
- VMware Announces Future Ready Workforce Solutions to Address the Needs of the Distributed Workforce: https://www.vmware.com/company/news/releases/vmw-newsfeed.VMware-Announces-Future-Ready-Workforce-Solutions-to-Address-the-Needs-of-the-Distributed-Workforce.fb37aa5d-66f3-4e59-89cb-160b36ce87f9.html
- VMware Delivers Intrinsic Security to the World’s Digital Infrastructure: https://www.vmware.com/company/news/releases/vmw-newsfeed.VMware-Delivers-Intrinsic-Security-to-the-Worlds-Digital-Infrastructure.e137f086-d4ab-419f-ac02-4c1967366549.html
- VMware Delivers the Next Wave of Virtual Cloud Network Innovation to Connect and Protect Today’s Distributed, Multi-Cloud Enterprise: https://www.vmware.com/company/news/releases/vmw-newsfeed.VMware-Delivers-the-Next-Wave-of-Virtual-Cloud-Network-Innovation-to-Connect-and-Protect-Todays-Distributed-Multi-Cloud-Enterprise.f22204da-4298-429d-ad33-e1e805ad63cc.html
- VMware Empowers Customers to Build their Multi-Cloud Future: https://www.vmware.com/company/news/releases/vmw-newsfeed.VMware-Empowers-Customers-to-Build-their-Multi-Cloud-Future.7e5f88c7-8554-4ea0-9a7b-c254a1679d57.html
- VMware Expands Tanzu Portfolio and Partnerships to Accelerate Customers’ Infrastructure and Application Modernization Efforts: https://www.vmware.com/company/news/releases/vmw-newsfeed.VMware-Expands-Tanzu-Portfolio-and-Partnerships-to-Accelerate-Customers-Infrastructure-and-Application-Modernization-Efforts.42bc16c4-3f01-41a4-ad82-149bbc26fd9f.html
- VMware Unveils Project Monterey: Re-Imagining Hybrid Cloud Architecture to Support Next-Generation Applications: https://www.vmware.com/company/news/releases/vmw-newsfeed.VMware-Unveils-Project-Monterey-Re-Imagining-Hybrid-Cloud-Architecture-to-Support-Next-Generation-Applications.89238c82-cabf-4136-b66e-642617f10d40.html
ChannelFutures: VMware VMworld 2020 News Includes SaltStack Acquisition
Cheddar TV spoke with Sanjay Poonen to discuss VMware’s work with companies like Zoom, highlights from VMworld 2020 and opportunities ahead. Diginomica’s Kurt Mako explored VMware’s cloud strategy and the steps it’s taken each year towards a vision that transformed its data center virtualization system into the world of multi-cloud infrastructure. Protocol reviewed some of the biggest announcements at VMworld, including its partnership with Nvidia and news of its intent to acquire SaltStack.
The Information detailed VMware’s new partnership with Nvidia to create an enterprise-wide platform for AI to tie together the data center, cloud and edge computing. Lynn Greiner at IT World Canada discusses VMware’s ongoing efforts to evolve the architecture for data center, cloud, and edge with the introduction of Project Monterey. Brainstorm Magazine highlighted some of VMworld’s biggest announcements and specifically noted, “It’s hard to overstate the importance of the application for modern business. VMware has for the last few years been concentrating its efforts on supporting the development and management of apps.” The Economic Times reported on Pat Gelsigner’s commentary discussing the progress VMware has made with Carbon Black.
Brainstorm Magazine (UK): VMworld 2020: All The News You Need To Know
Economic Times (APJ): Security Now Over $1 Billion Business For VMware: Pat Gelsinger
IT World Canada: From Pacific To Monterey: VMware Continues To Evolve
The Information: Nvidia, VMware Join Forces For Data Center Business
Today, we announced how VMware unlocks the power of Kubernetes for 70+ Million workloads running on vSphere. Coupled with the announcement, two events including the VMUG UserCon and Webcast showcased how VMware is the best solution for developer ready infrastructure, to scale without compromise, and to simplify operations. Complementary to this, John Gilmartin’s thought leadership article drove home the importance of modern infrastructure strategies.
- @VMware’s latest developer ready infrastructure gives business a competitive advantage and improves customer experience. Deliver products and services faster with #vSphere 7U1, #vSAN 7U1, and #CloudFoundation 4.1
- vSphere: Get started with #Kubernetes workloads faster than ever, thanks to #vSphere with Tanzu, in addition to vSphere 7U1. Learn more:
- vSAN: Just announced, @VMwarevSAN 7 Update1! Get the details on boosting efficiency and optimizing cost and management for stateful applications.
- VCF: Excited to share the @VMwareVCF4.1 announcement! Get the details on delivering developer-ready infrastructure with full-stack automation and enterprise scale here
vSphere 7 Update 1
vSphere will now be the platform of choice for both virtual machines and containers, with new highlighted capabilities supporting our 3 key themes below.
Deliver Developer Ready Infrastructure:
- vSphere with Tanzu: Delivers the fastest way to get started with Kubernetes workloads on a developer-ready infrastructure. It puts Kubernetes at the fingertips of millions of IT administrators – allowing them to leverage their existing trusted enterprise platform, tools and skillsets.
Scale Without Compromise:
- Monster VMs: For customers running SAP HANA and EPIC Cache Operational Database, VMware delivers 24TB memory and support up to 768 vCPUs, leaving other hypervisor vendors far behind in the category.
- Increased cluster scale: A vSphere cluster can now support a 50% higher number of hosts compared to the previous releases – up to 96 hosts per clusters
- vLCM enhancements: Now includes installation and configuration of NSX-T and support for Lenovo ThinkAgile VX servers
- vSphere ideas: Customers can submit feature requests right from the vSphere Client UI, track the status of the feature requests and look at all the other feature requests submitted by other users to vote for them
- vCenter Connect: Customers can manage their VMware Cloud on AWS or other Cloud partner offered vCenter with their on-premises vCenter in a single interface, simplifying hybrid cloud management
vSAN 7 Update 1
vSAN 7 Update 1 is our largest release in three years! We are introducing vSAN 7 Update 1 to boost data center efficiency with new highlighted capabilities supporting our 3 key themes below.
Deliver Developer Ready Infrastructure
- vSAN Data Persistence Platform: Provides a framework for modern stateful service partners to integrate with the underlying VMware infrastructure so that their software can run on VMware Cloud Foundation with Tanzu optimally. Partners planning to announce their work with us at launch includeCloudian, DataStax, Dell, and MinIO.
Scale Without Compromise
- HCI Mesh: VMware’s unique approach is an industry-first, software-based disaggregation of compute and storage.
- Shared witness support: Customers reduce resource requirements through shared witness support, enabling organizations to consolidate up to 64 2-node vSAN deployment witnesses onto a single shared witness. Great for ROBO deployments
- Enhanced performance: Improvements to the networking IO path result in up to 30% better performance, which may include increased IOPS, lower latency or greater throughput
- vSphere Lifecycle Manager (vLCM): Now updates VMware NSX-T and supports Lenovo ThinkAgile VX servers
- File services: Enables customers to consolidate their files onto an enterprise-ready solution. Now integrates the most common SMB protocols, Active Directory and Kerberos support
VMware Cloud Foundation 4.1
VMware Cloud Foundation powers ahead as the best hybrid cloud platform that supports developer ready infrastructure, with new highlighted capabilities supporting our 3 key themes below.
Deliver Developer Ready Infrastructure:
- vSAN Data Persistence Platform: Described above under vSAN, this will be delivered as part of the VMware Cloud Foundation.
Scale Without Compromise:
- VMware Cloud Foundation Remote Clusters: New VCF configurations extend the operational capabilities of VCF into remote office and edge locations.
- Parallel NSX-T upgrade: New ability to update and patch multiple NSX-T clusters simultaneously in a parallel manner saving significant time when upgrading large scale NSX-T environments
- Skip-level cluster upgrades: Provides the ability to move directly to the latest release reducing the time it takes for customers to upgrade and patch full stack VCF deployments.
- vVols 2.0+ support: Supports vVols as Principal Storage in a workload domain, providing a common storage management framework for external storage and HCI
- vRealize Suite 8 Automation: Now provides automated deployment of vRealize Suite 8.1, such that vRSLCM is automatically deployed by SDDC manager and is now VCF aware
- What’s New with VCF 4.1 Blog
- Extending the Power of VCF to the Edge
- Design Considerations for VCF Remote Clusters (OCTO Blog)
Data Center Knowledge: VMware to Unleash Kubernetes-Native vSphere on Data Centers in October
StorageReview: VMware Tanzu on Dell EMC VxRail Integration Tightens
VMBlog: #VMworld 2020 Q&A: An Exclusive Inside Look as VMware Provides Details Ahead of the Show
The Next Platform: VMware Bets On Enterprises Wanting Kubernetes and Virtualization Mashup
The New Stack: VMware Provides a Kubernetes On-Ramp for vSphere Workloads
How Fiserv delivered a financial lifeline to 18,000 businesses at the height of COVID
State Farm moved 800 apps to cloud in 18 mo. with @VMwareTanzu @pivotallabs. What went well & what was hard:
*Growth & Scaling can happen too fast
*Repaving is easier than recovery
*Join a community, find a skilled partner
*Train your dev teams
Azure Spring Cloud, from VMware and Microsoft, is now GA
Gelsinger: Spring is a “jewel” of VMware’s modern apps franchise
No one likes latency. But one group in particular detests it: gamers. This is the world that Phil Clay, Principal Software Engineer at Blizzard Entertainment, lives in.
According to Colonel Jennifer M. Krolikowski, Senior Materiel Leader for Space C2, building software and aggregating data is a big part of the U.S. Space Force mission. Col. Krolikowski notes Space Force is collecting and processing data related to upcoming space launches, satellite conjunctions, atmospheric re-entry of space objects, and sensor status.
CNBC’s “Squawk Alley” breaks down VMWare earnings with Patrick Gelsinger, VMware CEO. For access to live and exclusive video from CNBC subscribe to CNBC PRO: https://cnb.cx/2NGeIvi » Subscribe to CNBC TV: https://cnb.cx/SubscribeCNBCtelevision » Subscribe to CNBC: https://cnb.cx/SubscribeCNBC » Subscribe to CNBC Classic: https://cnb.cx/SubscribeCNBCclassic Turn to CNBC TV for the latest stock market news and analysis. From market futures to live price updates CNBC is the leader in business news worldwide. Connect with CNBC News Online Get the latest news: http://www.cnbc.com/ Follow CNBC on LinkedIn: https://cnb.cx/LinkedInCNBC Follow CNBC News on Facebook: https://cnb.cx/LikeCNBC Follow CNBC News on Twitter: https://cnb.cx/FollowCNBC…Read More
Content Catalog: https://my.vmworld.com/widget/vmware/vmworld2020/catalog?
Top 15 VMworld 2020 sessions to attend from Duncan: http://www.yellow-bricks.com/2020/08/17/top-15-vmworld-2020-sessions-to-attend/
My List of Must Attend Sessions:
- Hybrid Cloud
- 60 Minutes of NUMA [HCP2453]
- 99 Problems, But a vSphere Upgrade Ain’t One [HCP1830]
- A Practitioner’s Guide to Migrating Workloads to VMware Cloud on AWS [HCP2557]
- Azure VMware Solutions: Network & Security in a Hybrid Cloud Environment [HCPS1576]
- Build and Drive Business Transformation through VMware Cloud on AWS [PAR2875]
- Build Application Migration Waves for HCX with vRealize Network Insight [HCP1685]
- Business-Critical Workloads on the VMware Cloud Panel [HCP1208]
- Multi-Cloud Operations
- Accelerate Your Networking Business with VMware SD-WAN [PAR2870]
- Better Together: CloudHealth and VMware Secure State [MCOP2174]
- Birds of a Feather Roundtable: Architecting A Multi-Cloud Environment That Accelerates App Modernization [MCOP2670]
- Birds of a Feather Roundtable: Managed Service Provider Program for VMware Cloud on AWS and Cloud Director Service [MCOP2711]
- Cloud Bursting in Healthcare & Government to Achieve Agility and Scale [MCOP2938]
- Exam Guide Review: VCP-CMA [MCOP2632]
- vRealize Automation Design, Deployment Deep Dive: Large Financial Customer [MCOP2584]
- Virtual Cloud Network
- 7 Reasons for Network Automation: With Blue Cross Blue Shield NC [VCNC1207]
- Active-Active SDDC with NSX Advanced Load Balancer Solutions ]VCNC2043]
- Demystifying Multitier Gateways in VMware NSX-T Data Center [VCNC1140]
- Demystifying the NSX-T Data Center Control Plane [VCNC1164]
- Exam Guide Review: VCP-NV [VCN2629]
- Expert Roundtable: Ease the Migration to NSX-T from NSX for vSphere with Crystal Greenwood [VCNC2905]
- Digital Workspace
- Architecting Workspace ONE: The Official Reference Architecture [DWMM1820]
- Back-End, Meet Front-End: Modern App Delivery with Tanzu and Workspace ONE [DWMM1468]
- Bogged down with Legacy Infrastructure? Come Learn How to Migrate from Citrix to VMware Today! [DWHV1075]
- Business Continuity Solutions for Remote Workforce [DWDE2239]
- Creating and Optimizing a Windows Image for VDI and Published Applications [DWHV1823]
- CTO in the Hot Seat: VMware EUC CTO Shawn Bass Answers Your Tough Questions [DWHV2824]
- Empowering Clinicians and Governments with a Remote Workspace [DWDE2936]
- Intrinsic Security
- Advancing Your Cloud Security Journey – Putting All the Pieces Together [ISCS1993]
- A Practical Guide to Implementing Zero Trust [ISWS1383]
- Carbon Black Cloud Use Cases [HOL-2136-96-ISM]
- Carbon Black Endpoint Standard Simulation [HO-2136-95-ISM]
- Cloud Infrastructure and Workload Security: VMware Secure State and Carbon Black [ISWL2072]
- Demystifying the NSX-T Data Center Distributed Firewall [ISNS1141]
- Eliminate Blind Spots with a Purpose-Built Internal Firewall [ISNS1185]
- App Modernization
- A Deeper Look at the Kubernetes Cluster API [KUB2470]
- An Introduction to VMware Tanzu Mission Control: Manage Kubernetes at Scale [KUB2229]
- A Pragmatic Path for IT & App Modernization with the VMware Tanzu Portfolio [KUB2957S]
- Best Practices for Zero-Downtime Tanzu Application Service, K8s Deployments [MAP1627]
- Cloud Native Fundamentals: Containers and Kubernetes 101 for the VI Admin [KUB1888]
- Cloud Native Operations on Kubernetes [KUB1056]
Personally inviting you to register for VMworld 2020 on September 29 – 30.
VMworld 2020 presents a unique opportunity for two registration passes never offered before:
- General Pass (FREE)
- Gen Session/Solution Keynotes
- Curated/Scheduled Sessions (shorter format)
- Interactive Simulated Labs
- Access to On-demand Sessions
- VMware & Partner Demo Zones
- Cloud City
- Premier Pass ($299 USD) – Technical Audience
General Pass access plus:
- Guided WorkshopsLive engagements with experts
- Personalized Cloud City engagement
- Birds-of-a-Feather / Networking
- Certification training & VMworld 2021 discounts
Day 1 – Agenda
VMware Executive General Sessions
09:00 AM – 10:00 AM PDT – Sept 29 – Americas
Solutions Keynote & Customer Case Study
10:00 AM – 11:30 AM PDT – Sept 29 – Americas
11:30 AM – 03:30 PM PDT – Sept 29 – Americas
(Premier Pass Only)
09:30 AM – 03:30 PM PDT – Sept 29 – Americas
(Premier Pass Only)
10:00 AM – 03:30 PM PDT – Sept 29 – Americas
VMware Demo Zone &
Sponsor Demo Zone Hours
10:00AM – 05:30PM PDT – Sept 29 – Americas
Day 2 – Agenda
09:00 AM – 03:00 PM PDT – Sept 30 – Americas
(Premier Pass Only)
09:00 AM – 03:00 PM PDT – Sept 30 – Americas
(Premier Pass Only)
09:00 AM – 02:30 PM PDT – Sept 30 – Americas
VMware Demo Zone &
Sponsor Demo Zone Hours
08:00AM – 05:00PM PDT – Sept 30 – Americas
NEW! Key Americas Ancillary Event
In addition to all of the core VMworld programming, Americas is also running a collection of ancillary events for customers and partners. On the evening of the first day of VMworld, Women Allies in Sales is hosting “The Inspired Future” event. An experiential virtual event that inspires imagination and action among the women community at VMware, customers and partners, as well as our ally stakeholders. More details on this exciting new VMworld ancillary below.
“The Inspired Future” hosted by Women Allies in Sales – Tuesday, September 29
- Event Hosts: Anna Dorcey and Dom Delfino
- VMware Moderators and Panel Participants: Carol Carpenter and Sandy Hogan
- VMware Emcee: Gabby Buckles
- Entertainment: We will kick off the evening with DJ Umami, a “true woman warrior” in the DJ scene as she hypes the crowd and gets the audience excited for the evening as well as inserts energy throughout the program.
- Luminary Speaker: We are pleased to share that we will be joined by Kathy Sullivan, scientist, astronaut, explore, and the only woman ever to have reached the deepest point in all of the oceans and walked in space.
Details of VMworld Conference Activities:
Education Services Trainings and Certifications Details –
Designed to hone and validate attendee knowledge of the latest VMware technologies and solutions. Check out this page or this blog for more. VMworld special offers:
- For ALL Registrations: Complimentary 6-month access to the VMware Learning Zone (24/7 training hub) Premium Subscription.
- For General Pass (Free): 25% off VMware Certified Professional (VCP) certification exam voucher
- For Premier Pass (Paid): Save 50% off VMware Certified Professional (VCP) certification exam voucher
VMware Demo Zone Details –
Previously known as the “Solutions Exchange”, the VMware Demo Zone offers 10 solution pages that will include product demos (available on-demand) and the opportunity to chat with product SME’s during set hours.
- 10 Solution Pages: Multi Cloud – Infrastructure, Multi Cloud – Cloud Management, Multi Cloud – for Partners, App Modernization, Intrinsic Security, Virtual Cloud Networking, Digital Workspace, Telco, Emerging Trends, Customer Experience and Success.
- AMER Booth/Chat Support Hours:
- Day 1: 10AM PT – 3:30PM PT
- Day 2: 9:00AM PT – 3:00PM PT
Hands-on Labs Details –
Attendees will be able to experience HOLs throughout the online event. The offerings differ slightly between General and Premier pass registrants:
- General Pass (Free) – Simulated HOLs, offered on-demand
- Premier Pass (Paid) – Guided HOL Workshops offered Day 1 & 2, targeting 100 attendees per session. Attendees will also be able to participate in Odyssey Gamification.