Today we announced the general availability of vSphere Integrated Containers 1.0. Available as a feature of vSphere, this addition allows customers to extend their existing vSphere environments to run and manage containers natively. VMware vSphere Integrated Containers can be used by customers running VMware vSphere Enterprise Plus Edition™, VMware vSphere with Operations Management™ Enterprise Plus edition and VMware vCloud Suite®.
This release comprises three major components – the Container Engine, Container Registry (Harbor) and Management Portal (Admiral); the engine provides a Docker Remote API-compatible engine that allows customers to instantiate containers as VMs, the registry provides a secure location to store container images, and the Management Portal, available as a beta feature for this release, provides a portal for the app teams.
- ADMIRAL – A built-in container management portal for VMware vSphere Integrated Containers that developers and application teams can use to accelerate application delivery. https://github.com/vmware/admiral/wiki
- HARBOR – An enterprise container registry that is built into VMware vSphere Integrated Containers. Based on Docker Distribution, Harbor adds several enterprise features including user management and access control, policy-based image replication, support for audit and logs, a RESTful API for integration, among many others. Harbor enterprise container registry on GitHub github.com/vmware/harbor
If you are interested in trying out the product, listed below are quick-start guides that will help you get started.
- ESXi Quick Start Guide –https://vmware.github.io/vic-product/assets/files/html/0.8/vic_installation/deploy_vch_esxi.html
- vCenter Quick Start Guide –https://vmware.github.io/vic-product/assets/files/html/0.8/vic_installation/deploy_vch_vcenter.html
We’ve put together a couple of external blog posts announcing the release; they can be found at the following links:
- GA announcement –http://blogs.vmware.com/vsphere/2016/12/vmware-announces-general-availability-of-vsphere-integrated-containers.html
- What’s new and demo video –http://blogs.vmware.com/vsphere/2016/12/whats-new-in-vsphere-6-5-vsphere-integrated-containers.html
- How to use vSphere Integrated Containers with Admiral and Harbor
- Private Docker Registry Harbor Achieves HA based on Virtual SAN
Available to all vSphere Ent+ 6.0 and above customers
Hands On Labs
HOL-SDC-1730 vSphere Integrated Containers
Detailed product, release notes, and documentation links can be found below
VMware vSphere Integrated Containers: https://my.vmware.com/en/web/vmware/info/slug/datacenter_cloud_infrastructure/vmware_vsphere_integrated_containers/1_0